Gone are the days when medical billing required dedicated departments and plenty of employees to do the tasks. These days, it is all about having a cloud-based solution that is as easy to install as accessing your email online. Instead of purchasing huge IT setups and hiring experts, you just need to subscribe to a billing software company for a monthly fee, and you will see your entire billing department go online.
Cloud-based solutions offer many convenience factors including security and regulation. Additionally, there are nearly 50 HIPAA compliance rules that must be met by billing software used by medical practitioners. An in-house, server-based program is able to address less than 10 of them while cloud-based solutions help you meet over 30 of those compliance guidelines.
Data security is another important consideration for small and medium sized practices. In an ideal scenario, you should keep a daily backup to make sure no patient data is ever lost or stolen in case a hard drive malfunctions. Ensuring this kind of backups is hugely expensive in real world while cloud-based applications offer such features for your monthly subscription fee.
Let’s now take a look at some of the features of cloud-based billing software.
- Any authorized user in your practice can access the billing information they require through the simple web access from virtually any device.
- Remote work becomes easy. Billers can work from anywhere as effectively as your office.
- Huge cost savings result due to the fact that no additional hardware or software installation is required. Management of the system is also convenient because system updates are installed automatically by the billing software vendor.
- Expansion of the system is very easy. Whenever you want to add a new user, just add it from the administrator panel. No need to involve IT and make space for physical human beings.
- You can keep up with the ever-changing healthcare industry and regulations through automatic upgrades.
The Cloud-based model may sound strange to you, but such applications have plenty of benefits and very little drawbacks.